Baton Rouge Personal Injury Checklist
No Games, No Gimmicks And No Hidden Fees! We Treat Our Clients Like Family!
Thinking of hiring a personal injury attorney? Ask the right questions. The below checklist outlines important information that you need to know to make the RIGHT decision on which attorney to hire:
- What is the COST OF HIRING this law firm? At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we only get paid if you get paid. If you hire us, we will pay all costs related to your case, and if there is no recovery, there is NO COST TO YOU. It is also important to know that if you do receive compensation for your claim, we make sure that you receive the most money possible. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, all three attorneys will actively work on your case at no extra expense to you.
- Are there ADDITIONAL FEES that will be charged to my case? It is important for you to be aware of all standard fees the law firm charges in addition to the attorney’s fee. These fees should be listed on the contract you sign, so be sure to ask the right questions. Although some law firms advertise a “free consultation/free case evaluation,” they may charge a “sign-up” fee. It is important to be aware of these fees because the more fees you are charged the less money you will receive at the completion of your case. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we order all medical records, negotiate reductions of medical balances and obtain liens “in-house”, which means that you will not be charged extra for these services. Our fees and costs are transparent, and you will be informed of additional expenses incurred to present your case. When your case is settled, you will receive an itemized settlement memorandum that we will review with you.
- KNOW the name of the attorney that will be representing you prior to hiring a law firm. Your injury is important to you and you deserve to speak to the attorney representing you prior to signing a contract. When you call Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, John Smith, Loren Shanklin and Alicia Sosa will be YOUR attorneys. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, John, Loren and Alicia work on every case together. You will have a team of attorneys advocating for you throughout the hard times you are facing.
- MEET WITH the attorney that will be representing you prior to hiring a law firm. You will receive a free case evaluation/consultation prior to signing a contract. Most personal injury law firms advertise that they will give a free consultation, USE IT. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we will meet with you and go over your unique case. All cases are different and you need to be informed about what to expect. We will NEVER send an “investigator”, case signer or nonlawyer employee to discuss your case and to sign legal documents.
- What is the NUMBER OF CASES AT ONE TIME the attorney handles? The caseload of the Attorney you hire is extremely important. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, we believe that quality representation is more important than the number of cases. If you are seriously injured, your personal injury claim needs personal attention. We take fewer cases so that we may give our clients the attention they deserve.
- DO NOT SIGN documents unless they are explained to you by an attorney. It is important to make sure that you understand everything you sign. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we want our clients to understand the process as well as understanding all documents they are signing. Prior to signing anything, we will explain the documents to you.
- Will this attorney represent you from BEGINNING TO END of your case? At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, you are more than a file number, and we take your injury personally. We are passionate about our clients, and we know the importance of representing you from the beginning to the end of your case. From the first day you hire Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we will be gathering important information to properly prepare your case for trial. Furthermore, most clients are faced with personal obstacles related to injuries they suffer. Our clients are like family, and we are here for you through all the hard times you may face.
- How will you afford the COST OF MEDICAL TREATMENT? When you are injured, your number one priority is YOUR HEALTH. You have the right to obtain the best health care treatment for your injuries. At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we can help arrange all medical care at no upfront cost to you.
- Will the attorney help you recover PROPERTY DAMAGE? If you hire Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC to represent you for your injury, we will make it a priority to get you back on the road. Your property damage claim is separate from your bodily injury claim. We understand the hardship our clients face with an inoperable vehicle. We generally assist clients with property damage claims and diminished value claims for NO ATTORNEY FEE. Yes, you read correctly, this service is FREE.
- Has the attorney ever TRIED A CASE in a Louisiana court? Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC attorneys are proud to bear the name of TRIAL LAWYERS. We know what it takes to prepare a case for trial. Although the majority of cases do not go to trial, you need a trial team that has trial experience. This experience is invaluable to your case, and it does not cost you any extra.
- What is the PROCESS for a case like yours? At Smith Shanklin Sosa, LLC, we know that every case is unique. During our free consultation and evaluation, we will explain the legal process associated with your case. It is our priority to make sure our clients are informed and know what to expect throughout the legal process. We have represented hundreds of clients in a wide variety of personal injury scenarios, from boating to helicopter accidents, and bicycle to eighteen-wheeler accidents. With our experience, we will give you a thorough evaluation that you can trust.