More than 40 years of combined experience

A group photo of Smith Shanklin Sosa's attorneys

What to Do After Being in an Accident With an Uninsured Driver

On Behalf of | Feb 5, 2019 | Firm News

Whenever people are in a car accident, it’s comforting to know that they’re covered by insurance. However, if one of the drivers is under- or uninsured, the process becomes far more complicated and may require the help of a personal injury lawyer. Here’s what drivers should do after an accident with an uninsured motorist.

Assess the Damage and Inform the Insurance Company

In any car accident, the first step should be assessing and documenting all damage to the vehicles and passengers. Drivers should then exchange their insurance information with each other, take photographs of the scene, and save all relevant documents and medical paperwork. If there were any witnesses, GET THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION!

Verify Uninsured Motorist Coverage

If the other driver was at fault and is later determined to be uninsured, uninsured motorist coverage will likely offer protection. Uninsured motorist coverage can also help when the other party is underinsured.  The best time to determine whether you have uninsured motorist coverage is before an accident. If you do not have it, please consider obtaining this coverage. Smith Shanklin Sosa will verify all insurance coverages of all parties during our initial investigation of an automobile accident.

Seek Legal Advice

A personal injury lawyer may be able to determine if someone who’s been in an accident with an uninsured motorist has a case and how to move forward. However, even winning a lawsuit is no guarantee of a windfall. The at-fault driver may not have enough money or assets to cover the full cost of punitive damages.

At Smith Shanklin Sosa, our lawyers are with you during every step of your case. When you call our office, an attorney will answer the phone. If you’ve been in an accident with an uninsured driver, we can help you understand your options. Contact us today for a free consultation by filling out our online form or calling 225-424-6094.