Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LA

Experiencing an injury due to someone else's actions can be financially and emotionally devastating. The personal injury attorneys at Smith Shanklin Sosa can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other costs associated with the injury.

How Our Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help

If you have been injured as a result of another party's negligence or willful harm, you need the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. The team at Smith Shanklin Sosa will thoroughly investigate the circumstances under which the injury took place to build your case. Because we care about achieving results for your case, we only charge a fee once you receive compensation for your claim.

Types of Personal Injury

An injury doesn't need to be physically apparent to have a serious negative impact on your well-being. In fact, sometimes the emotional scars of a serious accident are just as impactful as the physical scars. Whether you can no longer work because you've suffered an injury or you are troubled by recollections of the accident, you deserve compensation for its effect on your health and quality of life. Types of personal injuries can include the following:

  • Amputations

  • Back and neck injuries

  • Burns

  • Broken bones

  • Head injuries

  • Herniated and bulging discs

  • Internal injuries

  • Pinched nerves

  • Spinal injuries

  • Traumatic brain injuries

These injuries can be caused by motor vehicle accidents (including car, truck, ATV, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents), defective products, unsafe property conditions, medical malpractice, workplace accidents, and countless other incidents. When an accident causes a serious injury, insurance investigators will attempt to determine the cause. It's important to refrain from signing documents or recording statements about your injury without the advice and support of a personal injury attorney who can ensure that your rights are protected during these proceedings.

Understanding Personal Injury Law in Louisiana

Louisiana uses a comparative fault rule when it comes to determining responsibility for personal injury. This means that the court will attribute a percentage of fault for the incident to each party and award damages accordingly. For example, if you are injured in a car accident that is found to be 90 percent the fault of the other party but 10 percent caused by your actions, the award will be reduced by your fault percentage. In this case, if the total damage amount is $50,000, you would receive 90 percent of $50,000, or $45,000.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

Get in touch with the attorneys at Smith Shanklin Sosa if you've been injured and want to determine whether you have a personal injury case. When you call 225-223-6333, you'll speak directly with one of our lawyers and can arrange a free consultation. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is a year from the date of the accident, so it's important to seek legal advice before it's too late. Fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from our team.