John H Smith
John H Smith graduated from Southern University Law Center in 1994 with honors. He is licensed to practice law in all state and federal courts in Louisiana and Mississippi. Upon graduating law school, John began litigating cases. He tried his first wrongful death case three weeks after receiving his law license.
John has successfully handled a variety of cases, including complex multinational product liability cases. Furthermore, John has litigated cases involving wrongful death, amputation, burns, paralysis, quadriplegia, fractured vertebrae, brain injury, and just about every traumatic injury imaginable. In fact, John represented one of the eleven workers killed on the Deepwater Horizon (BP Oil Spill Litigation) to a successful conclusion.
"I thought no one could help me, but he did."
Due to his experience and successes, John has been appointed to numerous Louisiana and national class action committees and has had the opportunity to present a seminar entitled “Louisiana and Interstate Trucking Regulations and Discovery” at the Louisiana Association for Justice and Terrebonne Parish Bar Association. His main areas of practice include product liability, maritime/Jones Act claims, trucking accidents and serious automobile accident cases. John has had a satisfying career representing thousands of hard working injured people and their families throughout the United States.
When John is not working, he enjoys hunting, woodworking, gardening, rebuilding his 1971 Nova, and spending time with his family.
John is more than a personal injury attorney; he is an innovator, an authority, and a father.
Client Recommendation: I would recommend John to any of my family and friends who need an experienced injury attorney. I thought no one could help me, but he did. – C. Andrews Gonzales, Louisiana
Areas of Practice
John’s areas of expertise include but are not limited to:
- Car Accident
- 18 Wheeler/Truck Accident
- Personal Injury Claims
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Mass Torts
- Toxic Torts
- Asbestos-related Claims
- Automobile Accidents
- Maritime Cases
- Police Brutality Cases
- Medical Malpractice
- Manufacturer’s Defects/Products Liability
- Criminal Cases
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1994
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1994
- U.S. Fifth Circuit of Louisiana, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 2003
Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1994
Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, Louisiana
B.A. – 1991
Major: Political Science
- “Louisiana and Interstate Trucking Regulations and Discovery”, Terrebonne Parish Bar Association, December 2012
- “Louisiana and Interstate Trucking Regulations and Discovery”, Louisiana Association for Justice, December 29, 2009